[daip] Solaris/Linux AIPS directories

Edward Colbert colbert at pha.jhu.edu
Wed Oct 10 17:52:50 EDT 2001

Hi Eric,

Well, it would be equally good to have a flag in PRTTP to be able to
include the tables (like PL) when you write a file to FITS.  I
certainly don't agree that PL files are throwaway.  They contain very
usefuly information about BLC, TRC, contour levels, and Greyscale
levels of a plot, not to mention the time and effort used in making the
plots.  All data in aips except the raw data is able to be regenerated,
so that's not really the point.  The fact that I can't write PL files
to tape is the reason I have dragged by AIPS directories around with
me instead of saving them in FITS format.  The plotting package in AIPS
is very powerful for doing overlays but this is a major drawback of
using it for that.

I know the idea is to move to aips++ anyway, but I think there would be
a lot of aips users who would like to save PL files when writing to
tape or transferring from one Endian system to another.

Ed