[daip] AIPS linux installation

Neal A Miller nealamiller2 at home.com
Mon Oct 8 17:05:17 EDT 2001

Hello (Eric?). I've gone through an installation of classic AIPS on my
new home computer. The basic details are that it is an HP, Pentium II,
512 MB installed memory, 1GHz processor. The OS is Redhat 7.1. I
did install the proper gcc compiler and direct the AIPS install wizard
to their location, and as best I can tell things proceeded reasonably
smoothly.

I am having one difficulty: the defined data area. This may be because
during installation I named my data area something other than my
machine name (for now, my machine has the impersonal name of
"CC639212-B" assigned by Comcast for use of cable modem). Thus,
when trying to RUN FILAIPS I get the warnings about no defined
data areas. I'm a bit stumped. My AIPS root is just /AIPS, so the
DADEVS.LIST file is found at: /AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST. The
only non-commented line in the file is:
-  /AIPS/DATA/SILMARIL_1
That directory does exist. However, I don't seem to have a
$AIPS_ROOT/DADEVS.SH file. Could you help me fix this problem?

Also, I have some general Linux questions that should help my
AIPS installation run much more smoothly. In my Linux installation,
the swap space was set at a small value (an error in the installation
instructions led me to falsely believe I shouldn't go above 128 MB).
Is there an easy way to fix this?

Thanks for your help. I'll gladly iterate with you on optimizing my
system settings and performing the benchmark tests.

Take care,

Neal Miller