[daip] Re: fixed, perhaps

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Sat Oct 6 17:28:17 EDT 2001

allen at aladdin.astro.utoronto.ca writes:
 > Hello Eric,
 >
 > I wrote to you a couple of days ago, with a problem with
 > AIPS on one of our machines here.  I went back to the problem
 > and I believe that I have fixed it.
 >
 > I found a program called NEWEST in a different area from the
 > one the script UNIXSERVERS was looking for it.  I made a link
 > to it, and AIPS magically works again.
 >
 > I read (in the UNIVSERVERS script, I think) that the $LOAD
 > area must be writeable, and I see that the permissions on
 > the directory might not have been set right.  I will have to
 > make a note to give our aips account the same gid as the rest
 > of us, maybe one day.  Let us hope that things stay as is.
 >
 > So, apologies for filling your mailbox unnecessarily. I hope
 > you enjoy your weekend!
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 > Mike

The NEWEST that you must use is in $SYSLOCAL where it is build by the
installation procedure.  $SYSLOCAL must be in your $PATH for things to
work properly.

The group ID is important - we give group write privilege a lot but not
to the $LOAD area.  The aipspgmr group has that privilege not the
aipsuser group.