[daip] Installation wizard problems

Eric Tittley etittley at jca.umbc.edu
Tue Nov 20 14:45:45 EST 2001

Hi,

First of all, the Installation Wizard is a vast improvement on the
previous methods for
installing AIPS and I thank you for it.

However, I'm still having problems on the last section entitled:

    Running FILAIP, POPSGN, SETPAR

Here is the session log:

bash-2.03$ . ./LOGIN.SH
bash-2.03$ $CDTST
AIPS_VERSION=/usr/local/AIPS/31DEC01
bash-2.03$
bash-2.03$ RUN FILAIP
Data disk assignments:
  (Using global default file /usr/local/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
   Disk 1 (1) is /data/chile/AIPS/KRUPA_2

Starting up FILAIP (RELEASE OF 31DEC01)
 .
 .
 .
# disks, # cat entries/disk (<0 => private catlgs) (2 I)
35 -100
# interactive AIPS, # batch queues (2 I)
8 2
# tape drives (I)
0
ZLOCK: No locks available
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
FILAI1: ZCREA2: ERROR LOCKING SPACE LOCK FILE = DA01:SPACE
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
FILAI1: ZCREA2: PERFORMING NON-ATOMIC FILE CREATION INSTEAD
ZLOCK: No locks available
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
FILAI1: INSUFFICIENT SPACE ON DISK  1 FOR FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
FILAI1: REQUESTED SIZE OF           4 BLOCKS FROM ZCREAT
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
FILAI1: FILE TYPE MS CREATE ERROR      3
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
FILAI1: Init POPS memory files 1 through 12 with program POPSGN
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
FILAI1: Done!
bash-2.03$

(End of session log)

When I try to re-run, I get a request for a password, for which
'amanager' doesn't work.  What is it a password to?

After comprehensive instructions throughout the Installation Wizard, I
find it
frustrating that this section is so cryptic.

Just what exactly are these programs  doing?
What files do they modify?
Can the files that are modified be deleted to restart the procedure?
Do you have to run these routines for every machine that will run the
package
(which is NFS-mounted)?
 If 'yes' then why?
 If not, then why does it pick out a data drive specific to the computer
(KRUPA_2, in   this case)? I want to run AIPS on 3 machines and seem to
need data drives for
  each of them (for reasons I don't understand).
What are all these FILAIP parameters that I pass it?
 For example, it asks for `tape drives'.  Why give it the number 4?  I
don't have any.
 Is '0' an acceptable answer?

I understand that there are a lot of questions and many of them probably
seem
stupid to someone who knows what is going on.  But I've installed AIPS 4
times in
the past 18 months and each time it has been hard to get working, and
would eventually cease to work after some period of time and be
irreparable.  I'm not an
AIPS user but just a (de facto) systems manager which is undoubtedly the
cause of
many of my problems which usually come down to these data drives
and zlocks. What _is_ a zlock? and how can a zlock be reset?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Eric

---
Dr. Eric Tittley   Post Doctoral Research Associate
Joint Center for Astrophysics                  UMBC