[daip] AIPS help

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Nov 20 17:07:48 EST 2001

Chris Stockdale writes:

 > I am running 31DEC01 (with mnj) on an ULTRA 5.  I am trying to run IMAGR
 > on spectral line data.  When I run it, I get the following message.
 >
 > IMAGR1 11:31:03 ZCREA2: BYTES OVERFLOW ? = -268435456
 > IMAGR1 11:31:03 INSUFFICIENT SPACE ON DISK  5 FOR FILE DA05:MAD002001.002;
 > IMAGR1 11:31:03 REQUESTED SIZE OF     8126464 BLOCKS FROM ZCREAT

The AIPS on this system was not build to create and use files >2
gbytes in size.  You are not short of disk space actually, but the
file you wanted was too large.  This may be fixed on Solaris 2.6 and
later and on Linux with 2.4.4 kernel (??) now distributed as RedHat
7.2.  The $SYSLOCAL/CCOPTS.SH must specify the 64 bit option and then
all C routines must be recompiled (COMRPL) and all tasks rebuild
(INSTEP4).  Note that we changed to specify the 64 bit option all the
time in these 2 CCOPTS.SH files sometime this summer.  But systems
installed before then were probably build without this option (which
we used to restrict to our sites).

Eric