[daip] Re: Installation Wizzard coming with 31DEC00 AIPS release

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Nov 1 12:00:12 EST 2001

Michael Dahlem writes:

 > I am currently installing a new version of AIPS (well, I am
 > trying...) and because I am interested in a stable system
 > (being my own system administrator, but a computer illiterate),
 > I tend towards the Dec 2000 release rather than the new test
 > version. So I downloaded the necessary files (linux binary)
 > and started following the installation instructions, using
 > the installation Wiz. When installing the software under
 > /root (where I am keeping all software) under user ID root,
 > the Wiz does not let me proceed with the installation, be-
 > cause root is not a member of group mdahlem (my own personal
 > ID, which is also the group ID). OK, then I defined a
 > supplementary group users, and added this group ID to
 > both root and mdahlem. Still, the Wizzard does not let
 > me proceed.
 >
 > Q: What do I need to do to get on with the installation?

Pat Murphy may disagree, but I think it is a very bad idea to install
AIPS as root unless you also reduce your data as root.  And that means
that any typo can destroy your computer since root has all
privileges.

You would have to make users the primary group of root and that would
break root.

Install aips as yourself - it works.

Eric