[daip] tv problem

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Mon May 14 10:10:38 EDT 2001

On Sun, 13 May 2001 23:09:32 +0100 (BST), rob ivison <rji at roe.ac.uk> said:

> probably a minor screw-up in the (recent) installation, but i get the
> following message when trying to use the tv on my sony vaio aips 31dec00
> installation (latest linux mandrake/redhat). any obvious solution?

As we don't use Mandrake here, I'm not sure what "the latest" is.  We have
standardized on Red Hat 6.2 within NRAO, and are moving very cautiously
towards Red Hat 7.1 (but not yet; there are serious issues with the "2.96"
gcc compiler that comes with the newer version, and its g77 companion; we
recommend using 2.95 for compiling/building AIPS).

> tvlod
> ZSSSL2 connect (INET): Connection timed out

Hmm.  Your AIPS was trying to contact the TVSERV.EXE "daemon" which takes
care of TV locking, and the TVSERV never responded.  Was/is there any
process running that matches the string "TVSERV"?  You can figure this out
from a shell prompt thus:

     bash$ ps auxww | grep TVSERV

If it's not running or was somehow stuck, try exiting AIPS (use the
"KLEENEX" verb), make sure there is no zombied TVSERV running (use
"killall TVSERV.EXE" or if that fails, "killall -9 TVSERV.EXE), and
restart AIPS.  However, there may be a better way...

If you use "aips tv=local" as your startup command (adding whatever other
options you want, e.g. printer selection, disk selection, no TPMONs, etc;
see HELP AIPS or man aips for details), you will then force it to use Unix
sockets instead of INET sockets.  On a standalone system, this is often
easier and more appropriate.

HTH.
				- Pat

--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.                   Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
  Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/      Work: http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/