[daip] installing aips

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Thu Mar 29 14:59:31 EST 2001

"t" == tostrows  <tostrows at du.edu> writes:

t> I have downloaded the 31DEC01.tar.gz along with the
t> 31DEC01.tar.gz.md5sum file.  And as I understand from the webpage I'm
t> supposed to run md5sum

Yes.  The md5sum program, when run on a file, results in a checksum, so if
I do this:

  bash$ md5sum temp.jpg
  75a8f91ee3dce302b5652eccc80a0631  temp.jpg
  bash$

I see that the checksum for this file (temp.jpg) is that big long string
that starts with "75a8...".  Now if I send this temp.jpg file to someone
and also send them the MD5 checksum that *I* generated, the recipient can
check that their copy of temp.jpg is OK, by (a) running "md5sum temp.jpg",
and (b) comparing the number *their* md5sum program gives with the one
*mine* generated.  If these two md5sum strings match, then you know you
have a good copy.

In your case, you want to do this:

   md5sum 31DEC01.tar.gz

then compare the output of this with:

   cat 31DEC01.tar.gz.md5sum

If the two long strings are identical, you're in business.  This of course
depends on you having gotten the .tar.gz and .tar.gz.md5sum files on the
same day from our FTP server; the files are generated nightly.

				- Pat