[daip] fitld problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Mon Jun 11 10:25:22 EDT 2001

Jiyune Yi writes:
 > Hi,
 > I have problem to FITLD my data (BY012, May 2000) .
 > There're 5 dat tapes for this experiment and FITLD-ing the 'tape 3 of 5'
 >
 > gives error message after first file has read (there're  three file in
 > this tape and about 534,530,259Mb each).
 > The error message is  as looking like below,
 >
 > FITLD     Attaching data to MULTI       .UVDATA.   1 Vol:   3
 > FITLD     CL table interval set at  0.17 minutes
 > FITLD     Current file has    12122 visibilities
 > FITLD     File ref. freq:    42815.38 MHz
 > FITLD     ZEXPND: EXPANSION FAILED ON FILE DA03:UVD001001.00A;      NREC
 > =  833
 > 60
 > FITLD     ZERROR: ON FILE DA03:UVD001001.00A;
 > FITLD     ZERROR: IN ZEXPN2 ERRNO = 27 (File too large)
 > FITLD     FILE EXPANSION FAILED - QUITTING
 > FITLD            0 vis. written
 >
 > Since this is VLBA data, I did 'doconcatenate 1' .
 > However,  when I tested with 'doconcatenate -1', it read in without
 > error.
 > In case you wonder  for the file size,  previously  I could FILD bigger
 > size (568,558 MB...etc)
 > in the first two tapes.
 > Could you  give me some help ?
 >
 > p.s.
 > If my question isn't clear, please let me know what you need to know for
 > this trouble.
 >
 > - Jiyune

It appears that you have hit the 2 Gbyte limit which older systems
impose on individual files.  AIPS is capable of writing larger files
(except as FITS disk files) on systems that are modern enough and for
which AIPS was properly installed.  What operating system are you
using (enter uname -a and send us the output) and what version of
AIPS?