[daip] Aips and Red Hat Linux 7.1

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Mon Jun 4 15:21:59 EDT 2001

Ian McHardy writes:

 > We are running Aips (Dec 2000) on a nice fast 1.4 GHz pentium 4, running
 > Red Hat 7.0 but we bought a big monitor and the graphics card doesn't work
 > properly. So (if I remember the story correctly from our computer manager)
 > we need a new card. However the new card won't work with Red Hat 7.0 so we
 > have to upgrade to the new 7.1 version.
 >
 > Question: does anyone know (or have good grounds for suspicion) about
 > any problems with Aips running under Red Hat 7.1?

The AIPS www page addresses this.  AIPS does NOT work with the "g77"
compiler provided with redHat 7.0 nor with the one provided with
RedHat 7.1.  This "g77" compiler is called release 2.96 and was never
authorized by the GNU compiler group (for good reason).  To run AIPS
under 7.1 you will need to install g77 version 2.95.3 or earlier in
some non-standard place (not /usr/bin) and point the aips compile
procs at that place ($SYSUNIX/FDEFAULT.SH $SYSLOCAL/CCOPTS.SH and
$SYSLOCAL/FDOPTS.SH).