[daip] COMLNK etc

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Sun Jun 3 19:02:48 EDT 2001

On Wed, 30 May 2001 09:33:32 -0600, Eric Greisen
   <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu> said:

> It appears that FDEFAULT.SH and OPTIMIZE.LIS will be taken from
> $SYSLOCAL if present and otherwise from $SYSUNIX.  So it is already
> done the way we want.

> Now the question - should we put an edited (stripped) version of
> FDEFAULT.SH in each of the $SYSLOCALs?

I think so.  What is needed is a greatly simplified FDEFAULT.SH such as
this (comments, whitespace omitted):

    COMPILER="fort77"
    DIRTY=""; NODIRTY=""
    DEBUG="-g"; NODEBUG=""
    PROFILE=""
    COMPSWIT="-c"
    NOOPT="-O0"
    LIST=FALSE
    PURGE=FALSE
    if [ -f $SYSLOCAL/FDEFAULT.SH ] ; then
       . $SYSLOCAL/FDEFAULT.SH
    elif [ -f $TST/$ARCH/SYSTEM/FDEFAULT.SH ] ; then
       . $TST/$ARCH/SYSTEM/FDEFAULT.SH
    else
       OPT0="-O0" ; OPT1="-O1" ; OPT2="-O2"
       OPT3=$OPT2 ; OPT4=$OPT2 ; OPT5=$OPT2 ; OPT6=$OPT2
       OPT7=$OPT2 ; OPT8=$OPT2 ; OPT9=$OPT2
    fi
    COMP=$COMPSWIT
    export NODEBUG DEBUG DIRTY NODIRTY PROFILE PURGE
    export COMPILER COMPSWIT NOOPT
    export OPT0 OPT1 OPT2 OPT3 OPT4 OPT5 OPT6 OPT7 OPT8 OPT9

Then we put "standard" working versions of FDEFAULT.SH in the
$TST/$ARCH/SYSTEM areas.  The only question in my mind is whether or not
to make them cumulative, and if so in what order.  Possible choices are:

   1.  Cumulative: $SYSLOCAL, then $SYS${ARCH} [probably not?]
   2.  Cumulative: $SYS${ARCH} first, then $SYSLOCAL overrides
   3.  Replace: $SYSLOCAL overrides $SYS${ARCH}.

Of these three, #2 makes the most sense to me.

Most of the work in this will be (a) splattering the pieces of FDEFAULT.SH
in the various $ARCH-specific directories ($SYSSUL, $SYSLINUX, etc); and
(b) hacking the perl install/update scripts to do the right thing.

> I vote to keep the OPTIMIZE.LIS as is in $SYSUNIX.  If some local place
> wants, they can copy that file to their $SYSLOCAL and edit it there and
> it will be used.

Sounds fine to me.

				- Pat