[daip] AIPS and PP.FOR on Solaris

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Jul 13 19:01:06 EDT 2001

Ronak Shah writes:

 > > Hi:  Since you described the installation of AIPS at UIUC as a "total
 > > mess", I decided to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch.  Of
 > > course, this didn't work, and AIPS managed to fail in a new manner.

     I did that to an outside user who had her Linux machine installed
as a solaris machine and then she discovered that some programs
actually worked.  The info from Lisa Young is not so reliable as to
suggest a complete overhaul.

 > > INSTALL1 fails to properly work after PP.EXE is not created.  It

      Are you running install.pl or INSTEP1?  It is true that if you
cannot compile PP.FOR then you cannot compile anything else.

 > > finishes its partial compilation, and starts INSTEP2, only to fail on
 > > every single compilation.  I tried to run
 > > f77 PP.FOR -o PP.EXE in the appropriate directory:
 > >
 > > /usr/local/encap/aips-31DEC01/31DEC01/SYSTEM/UNIX

      This is not the correct directory and the command above is also
not right.  Do not attempt to do the complex install proc by hand.
The correct area is $SYSLOCAL = $TST/$ARCH/SYSTEM/$SITE.

 > > but it complains as:
 > >
 > > ld: elf error: file PP.FOR: unknown type, unable to process using
 > > elf(3E) libraries
 > > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to PP.EXE

       This sounds like a mix of LInux and Solaris.  What computer
system are you running on and what have you told it that it is?

 > > Furthermore, XAS will not compile during INSTEP1.

       What did it say?

 > > What are the magic library/fortran settings to make PP.FOR work?  What
 > > to do about XAS?

The procs work for other people.  I know no magic that is required
other than to follow instructions.

Eric