[daip] MNJ key

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Mon Jan 22 10:35:45 EST 2001

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 18:38:51 +0100 (CET), Neil Nagar
   <neil at arcetri.astro.it> said:

> I've newly installed AIPS on my Linux machine (the registration
> information is at the end of this email).  (Patrick: the memory problem
> was finally fixed even though the dealers wouldn't believe it as it
> didn't show up using standard memory diagnostics!).

Then their diagnostics weren't powerful enough.  Probably only a simple
read test that didn't exercise all the bits.  We've seen this sort of
thing on both PC's and Sparcs.

> Could you please send me the key required for the midnight job.

I'll send it in a separate message.

> The only problem I had with the installation (so far!)
> was with the following lines in the install.pl script

>     open(OLD, "<Makefile");
>     open(NEW, ">Makefile.new");
>     while (OLD) {
>         if (/^CC_$ARCH/) {
>             printf NEW "CC_$ARCH = $CCOM\n";
>         } else {
>             print NEW;
>         }
>     }
>     close(OLD); close(NEW);

> On reaching these lines the script went into an infinite loop,
> i.e. hogging all the cpu but not continuing. I'm not familiar with
> advanced Perl programming but changing these statements to basic
> Perl i.e. reading in with "while ($line= <OLD>)"  etc.
> solved the problem.

Oops.  I can't believe I did that.  It shouild say "while (<OLD>) {".  Duh!

Thanks for the tip.  I'll fix our version here ASAP.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory