[daip] Assorted questions

Ian McHardy imh at astro.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 12:15:12 EST 2001

Hello,

We're doing some wide field, deep, mapping at 20cm (4IF stuff). This is
causing a variety of rather awful problems, but also some more
basic probs, but for which I can't see the answer so I'll ask you here
if I may.

We have some B-array (8hrs) maps and some A-array (24hrs) maps. Of course we
can add the uvdata and remap but we are curious to see what happens when
we simply add in the map plane. That is a quick way of doing it (and as
we are still deeply involved in removing sidelobe noise from the A-array
data, we'd  like to try the quick way).

So how do we add the maps?

I assume that we need to first smooth the A-array to B-array resolution.
We found a task `smoth' - of 1984 VAX vintage. It doesn't work properly.
The noise rises linearly with the beamsize.

Assuming there is a smoothing task, what next? COMB is very picky if
maps aren't of exactly the same area so Hgeom (or ohgeo)?
I've been having difficulty getting that to work. Any hints?

thanks,
Ian