[daip] forwarded message from Eric Greisen

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Jan 5 11:05:39 EST 2001

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu>
To: Chris Stockdale <stockdal at phyast.nhn.ou.edu>
Subject: Re: [daip] PP.FOR errors
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:03:39 -0700

Chris Stockdale writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I just got back from a long vacation, and found some glitches with this recipe...
 >
 > They are presented below...  Any help or insight would be appreciated.
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Chris
 >
 > > From owner-mnj at kochab.cv.nrao.edu  Thu Jan  4 13:57:32 2001
 > > Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:49:59 -0500
 > > From: "Patrick P. Murphy" <pmurphy at nrao.edu>
 > > To: mnj at kochab.cv.nrao.edu
 > > Subject: Re: [daip] PP.FOR errors
 > >
 > > On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:04:08 -0700, Eric Greisen <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu> said:
 > >
 > > <snip>
 > >
 > > > Try two things:
 > >
 > > > To clean up the mess in the library
 > >
 > > > 1. cd $LIBR/APLLINUX   or APLSOL or APLSGI or APLALPHA or ...
 > > >    ls
 > > >    if ZTRLOP.o is there:  rm ZTRLOP.o
 > > >    otherwise              ar -d ZTRLOP.o SUBLIB
 > >
 > > This last line should read "ar dv SUBLIB ZTRLOP.o" (note the order of
 > > arguments; library first).  The "v" option will cause the normally (and
 > > annoyingly) quiet ar utility to say what it did or didn't do.
 > >

 > Tried this and got this...
 >
 > % cd $LIBR/APLSOL
 > % ar dv SUBLIB ZTRLOP.o
 > ar: ZTRLOP.o not found

      Did you do the ls to see if the file was in the directory but
not yet installed into SUBLIB.  That was in my mail message as the
first thing to do - the ar is only if it is in the SUBLIB.

 > > > To rebuild PP.EXE
 > >
 > > > 2. cd $SYSUNIX
 > > >    mv $APLUNIX/ZTRLOP.C .
 > > >    cd $SYSLOCAL
 > > >    rm ZTRLOG.* ZTRLOP.*
 > > >    ln -s $SYSUNIX/ZTRLOP.C ZTRLOP.c
 > > >    cc -c -i$INC ZTRLOP.c
 > >

 > % cd $SYSUNIX
 > % mv $APLUNIX/ZTRLOP.C .
 > mv: cannot access /home2/johnsun/aips/31DEC01/APL/DEV/UNIX/ZTRLOP.C

   Has your MNJ actually worked in a while?  If it ran this morning
before you attempted these things by hand then the MNJ (as I
mentiooned in my broadcast message) may well have cleaned up ZTRLOP
for you.

   Is it in $SYSUNIX?  If so procede with

 > > >    cd $SYSLOCAL
 > > >    rm ZTRLOG.* ZTRLOP.*