[daip] Re: [bananas] AIPS help

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Wed Feb 28 14:35:00 EST 2001

(I intercepted your bananas post; daip is for tech support, bananas is
more of an announcement list for releases, patches, record setting
AIPSmarks, new ports and so on.)

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:00:08 -0500 (EST), Mory <srtedg at Op.Net> said:

>> You probably don't have the TV lock server (TVSERV) running.  This task is
>> started along with XAS, the message and tek servers at AIPS startup time
>> and usually appears in a "ps" listing as TVSERV.EXE (or TVSRVn for unix
>> sockets, i.e. "aips tv=local" mode).  On Linux, "ps auxww | grep TVS"
>> should show it:

> Okay, I think I might have found the problem, I compiled for Unix
> sockets,

The install wizard's question was only to set the default preference;
there is no either/or in the compilation process.  The decision is made at
run time in a shell script.

I have a feeling that said shell script is not working and so the default
you wanted is not in effect.  However, it still *should work*.  Can you
check your /etc/services file for these:

5000/tcp sssin		5000/tcp	SSSIN		# AIPS TV
5002/tcp ssslock	5002/tcp	SSSLOCK		# AIPS TV Lock
5008/tcp msgserv	5008/tcp	MSGSERV		# AIPS Message Server
5009/tcp tekserv	5009/tcp	TEKSERV		# AIPS TekServer
5010/tcp aipsmt0	5010/tcp	AIPSMT0
5011/tcp aipsmt1	5011/tcp	AIPSMT1
5012/tcp aipsmt2	5012/tcp	AIPSMT2

as most of them should be defined.

As you'll see in "man aips" (after dotting the LOGIN.SH; this dotting
should in fact be in your .profile or perhaps /etc/profile), there is a
way of getting UNIX sockets at run time.  Simply type:

    aips tv=local

and it'll use Unix sockets.

> Should I erase the current install and redo it for INET?

Not unless you're truly desperate for some time to waste :-)  As I said,
this is a setting in START_AIPS:

  #                                       Only change these if you know
  #                                       what you're doing...
  USEUNIXSOCK=NO

Set this to YES (but leave the following NEWUNIXSOCK as NO) and it
*should* default to Unix sockets.  This setting is overridden by a
"tv=local" on the aips command line as shown above.  I don't have a
tv=inet or equivalent.

> Aips started, I had 3 the tek, msg and tvserver going,

What about XAS?  This (the X11 Aips tv Server) is the actual program that
shows the image.  TVSERV is only a lock manager for it and is a separate
process.

				- Pat