[daip] Help with total power spectra in AIPS

Mark Wright Mark.Wright at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Feb 26 10:13:49 EST 2001

Hi again, sorry about the confusion - I guess uuencoding isnt as popular
as it was in the old days!
Original messsage:
___________________

Dear designated AIP,
I am a PhD student at the University of Bristol (UK) with 10 days left to
submit my thesis.  I have been working on a major spectral-line
polarimetry dataset observed on 2 August 1996 (observer BD31). The data
is of the maser in the star-forming region W3(OH), at 1612, 1665, 1667
1720 MHz in all Stokes parameters... A fine dataset I'm sure you'll
agree! The data has long since been fully calibrated and imaged, and all
the analysis finnished - the images are great. However, for the sake of
my thesis and a paper I'm writing of the results I want to extract the
total-power or signle dish spectra. Now, there is a crafty default adverb
(aparm5=0) in SPLIT that drops the total power data - so I had to go back
to an earlier file to retrieve it. Printing the the total power spectra
ought to be easy in POSSM by setting aparm(8)=1, but this just gives me
nonsense results. I dont understand why this is, because I know the data
is good. Can you give me any advice on how to extract the single dish
spectra? Enclosed are postscript plots of the output I'm getting for a
cross power spectrum (good) and the total power spectrum (bad!)
Thanks in advance,
Mark Wright