[daip] Linux weirdness?

Joseph Lazio lazio at rsd.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Feb 14 08:34:34 EST 2001

Hi,

I've noticed something weird in the MNJ under Linux recently.  The
COMLNK step would fail with messages like the one appended.  The key
is the "Text file busy" error.  The error seems "random," sometimes it
happens with the .EXE file, other times with the COMLNK.$$ file, the
SEARCH.$$ file, etc.

After a bit of experimenting, I was able to reproduce this on the
command line ('echo JUNK >COMLNK.JUNK' produced the error).  Using
'fuser' I was able to track the problem to the TPMONs.  For some
reason they were accessing one or more of the file that COMLNK was
trying to create.  I'm not sure if this has something to do with the
fact that the Linux $PREP area is NFS-mounted from a Solaris box.
However, killing the TPMONs made the problem go away.

I don't need an answer unless you know of something in TFM that I've
missed.  Otherwise file it away as a curiousity...

-- Joe

[Regular COMLNK output...]
LINK      : Interpret  LINK \
LINK      :            /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP/LWPLA.o
LINK      : as         PURGE=TRUE REPLACE=TRUE SAVE=TRUE STRIP=TRUE
LINK      : plus       /usr/bin/g77 \
LINK      :            /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP/LWPLA.o \
LINK      :            /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/LIBR/APLNOT/SUBLIB \
LINK      :            /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB \
LINK      :            /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/LIBR/APLLINUX/SUBLIB \
LINK      :            /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB \
LINK      :            /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/LIBR/APLLINUX/SUBLIB \
LINK      :             -s \
LINK      :            -o /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP/LWPLA.EXE
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP/LWPLA.EXE: Text file busy
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
LINK      : Status from /usr/bin/g77 is 1
LINK      : Link of    /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP/LWPLA.o
LINK      : dies from wimpy compiler
COMLNK    : Link failed!
COMLNK    : Deleted    /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP/LWPLA.o
COMLNK    : Deleted    /AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP/LWPLA.f

T. Joseph W. Lazio, Ph.D.        voice: +1 202 404 6329
Remote Sensing Division          fax:   +1 202 404 8894
Naval Research Lab, Code 7213    lazio at rsd.nrl.navy.mil
Washington, DC 20375-5351 USA    http://rsd-www.nrl.navy.mil/7213/lazio/