[daip] Solaris 5.7 to 5.8

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Dec 20 15:53:10 EST 2001

Edward Colbert writes:

 > I was running 15OCT99 aips on Solaris 5.7 machines and my
 > machine was recently upgraded to Solaris 5.8, and now when
 > I start AIPS I get the following error.  Do you know if
 > there is an easy fix for it?  AIPS still works fine on
 > our 5.7 machines that have not been upgraded.  Thanks

      You neglected to include the messages but I bet that it has to
do with the XAS TV failing to get shared memory allocation.  Add to
/etc/system the line:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=8388608

This file gets overwritten in installation of an upgrade (I think) and
will need > 1 megabyte default shared TV memory.

 > Eventually I will upgrade to the version of AIPS that will
 > be frozen at the end of this year.  Would that require two
 > installations, one for 5.7 and one for 5.8?

We always compile and build AIPS on our oldest systems and the later
revisions work on those load modules.  So build it with the 5.7
machine and then share the code between all flavors.  The 31DEC01 is
nearly frozen.  We will send out an AIPSLetter if I ever get to it and
announce it when we are ready to have the 31DEC02 for adventurous
sites.  We are moving the code repository to Socorro and changing how
the MNJ works for such sites so there may be some delay.