[daip] installing aips

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Mon Dec 10 10:17:53 EST 2001

I'm no longer an "AIP" but I do help out with system issues from time to
time.  Sorry for the delay in replying.

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:10:29 +0100 (MET), Pedro Montero <montero at sissa.it>
   said:

> I have installed AIPS on a LINUX PC and it seemed it was installed ok but
> when a try to run it gives me the error bellow ( I have previously send
> the file for the registration). I would be very grateful if you could help
> me on this.

> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called
> TVDEVS.SH: Checking if  is reachable via ssh...

The host name as AIPS detected it is apparently set to "" (nothing).  This
may either be a configuration problem with your installation, or the
scripts are failing to detect the name in the output of the "uname -n"
command from a shell prompt.  You might check the output of this command
to see what it gives on your system.

> TVDEVS.SH: Starting TPMON daemons on RIGEL asynchronously...

This is odd; the TPMON startup (which is optional; you can suppress it
with "aips tpok", as all the TPMON daemons do is give *other* systems the
ability to read your tape drive and FITS disk area) detected the host name
(rigel) correctly but the TV startup did not... What does your HOSTS.LIST
entry for rigel look like?

> Starting up 31DEC01 AIPS with normal priority
>  ZMSGER: ON FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;
>  ZMSGER: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)

Now cd to that directory and check the permissions on (a) the directory
itself and (b) the files therein, in particular "MSD001000.001\;".  You
apparently do not have write permission on either the directory or the
file, or both.  AIPS users need to be able to write here.

> ZDCHI1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:SPD000000;
> ZDCHI1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)

Do likewise for the $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/$HOST/ area and contents.  And while
checking permissions, make sure AIPS users can write to the
$AIPS_ROOT/31DEC01/LINUX/MEMORY/ area and contents too.

> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC01) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are NOT assigned a TV device or server
> AIPS 1: You are NOT assigned a graphics device or server
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?

The base system is working.  If you correct the permissions problems, you
can test the stripped-down environment of AIPS by doing:

    aips notv tpok pr=1

which will cause AIPS to start up with no image display window (the "TV"),
no graphics window (the "tek" window), no message window (msgserv), and no
local TPMON daemons.  This cuts down on a lot of the clutter of messages.

> ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
> ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!

Did you follow the instructions in the install wizard and add the required
services to your /etc/services file (or, if your environment uses NIS/YP,
the services map)?

				- Pat
--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.              Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
 Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/    Work: http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/