[daip] forwarded message from Eric Greisen

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Aug 28 19:26:25 EDT 2001

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu>
To: thlee <thlee at iras.ucalgary.ca>
Subject: Re: [daip] Re: IMAGR
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:25:52 -0600

thlee writes:

 > On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Eric Greisen wrote:
 >
 > >         But a FLUX=-1 means quit at the first negative or when a
 > > component has a flux of +1.0 or -1.0.  Read the help file.  It is odd
 > > that it should make a CC file in this case.  When I tried it, IMAGR
 > > quit abruptly with a 0 component CC file in OVERLAP 2 mode.  In
 > > OVERLAP 0 mode it did not seem smart enough to quit but did 1
 > > component at a time major cycles with correct components.  That needs
 > > fixing.
 > >

 > But there is no component with a flux of +1 or -1. And the first negative
 > component is #346. Shouldn't IMAGR quit until it cleans to #346? Also,
 > there is only one field for the source, the OVERLAP parameter should not
 > be the problem.

      I agree that the OVERLAP should not affect things - the code
differs for the 2 modes and it handles things differently apparently
and wrongly in one case.

If you say FLUX = +1 and there are no components so large it should
quit.  If you say FLUX=-1 and there are no components as large as +1
it should quit.  The absolute value of FLUX is used no matter what its
sign.  The sign simply indicates that the program also should quit on
the first negative.  FLUX = 0.0005 and FLUX = -0.0005 are the same
except when there is a negative component.  READ THE HELP FILE PLEASE.

Ny the way, I believe that quitting on the first negative compoent is
scientifically and mathematically the wrong thing to do.