[daip] An interesting AIPS quirk

Mike Nord mikenord at unm.edu
Mon Apr 30 13:32:47 EDT 2001

I am working on imaging the galactic center in 4 band, D array.  My UV
range is from about 10 to about 250 wavelengths.  As I run IMAGR, I get
the following error message:

SNE   > IMAGR1: Task IMAGR  (release of 31DEC01) begins
SNE   > IMAGR1: Create GC          .IMAGR .   7 (UV)  on disk 17  cno    7
SNE   > IMAGR1: Beginning channel    1 through   15 with  1 IFs
SNE   > IMAGR1: IMACPY: Copied   417741 visibilities to be imaged
SNE   > IMAGR1: UVWAIT: begin finding uniform weights
SNE   > IMAGR1: ZABORS: signal 11 received
SNE   > IMAGR1: ABORT!

I have played around with many settings in AIPS, and it looks as though
uniform weighting is what is causing my problems.  When I set UVWTFN to
natural weighting, everything runs smoothly.

It appears that there is something about my very small seperations that
uniform weighting does not like.

I don't know if this is a known problem or not, I just thought I'd point
it out in case it is a newly discovered AIPS "feature".

Michael Nord
University of New Mexico/Naval Research Labs