[daip] update script on Compaq machines

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Wed Sep 20 12:43:32 EDT 2000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:06:29 +0100 (BST), Robert Laing
   <rlaing at astro.ox.ac.uk> said:

> I am currently trying to update from 15APR99 to 31DEC99 on a Compaq
> (Alpha) machine

Is it running OSF/1 ("Tru64") or Linux?  I'm guessing the former.

> using the update.pl script.  It starts OK, and then comes up with

> Now to configure and make it...
> creating cache ./config.cache
> Invalid configuration `alphaev56-dec-osf4.0f': machine `alphaev56-dec' not
> recognized

In the past when I've seen this, it's been generally harmless.  If it in
any way succeeded in producing a libreadline.a library in $LIBR/GNU/ I'd
just take a "dang the torpedoes" approach and proceed.

If you have Linux on the Alpha, then you can safely do:

   cd $TST/$ARCH/LIBR/GNU
   ln -s /usr/lib/libreadline.a

which makes a symlink to the main system library.

> etc. ad nauseam.

> I guess that RLSUPP.SHR is getting a bit confused, but I can't immediately
> see why, as the machine and operating system ought to be recognized.

This is a particularly old version of ReadLine, and it isn't particularly
good at recognizing Alpha/OSF1 systems.  But last time I built it on our
Alphas (OSF/1 4.0D, you seem to have 4.0F) I was able to produce a working
readline library.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory