[daip] AIPS trouble

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Wed Sep 20 08:53:08 EDT 2000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:37:32 -0700 (PDT), "Andrew A. West"
   <west at bluemoon.astro.washington.edu> said:

> I just switched to a new X-term.

I assume you mean one of those hardware X terminals (and not the "xterm"
program)...

> When I tried to start up AIPS everything appeared to work fine but it
> hangs

Are you sure it hangs?  Remember, a normal AIPS startup will fire up
anywhere from 5 to 7 separate programs:

         AIPS itself, the command line interpreter with the ">" prompt;
         XAS, the "TV" or image display tool
         MSGSRV, a message server running inside an xterm;
         TEKSRV, a graphics server running inside an xterm;
         TVSERV, an invisible lock daemon for XAS, and possibly
         TPMONn [n=1, 2, ...] N+1 of these where N=no. of local tape drives

The output from *all* of these is sent to the terminal emulator (xterm,
gnome-terminal, kterm, whatever) in which you type the "aips" command;
separating out what's what can be confusing.  If AIPS itself is actually
hanging, you want to confirm this by only starting it and nothing else up:

         % aips notv tpok pr=1

The "notv" suppresses XAS, MSGSRV, TEKSRV, and TVSERV.  The "tpok" avoids
startup of any TPMON daemons.  And the "pr=1" simply pre-selects that
printer.

I'll try to analyze what actually happened:

> bluemoon(301)% aips tv=local
> UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on bluemoon, DISPLAY Gorgonzola.astro.washington.edu:0.0

It was projecting the XAS and other windows onto gorgonzola.

> XAS: Cannot use shared memory on remote XAS link
> XAS: !!! Shared memory not selected !!!

This is odd.  AIPS is local on bluemoon, but it thinks XAS is being run
elsewhere.  In any event it should not matter and you can suppress shared
memory via X resources; setting:

       AIPStv*useSharedMemory:        0

in your .Xdefaults (permanent, need to "xrdb .Xdefaults) or interactively:

       % echo "AIPStv*useSharedMemory:        0" | xrdb -merge -

will stop this.

> Nothing happens after this.

No prompt for user number?  Usually if there's a lot of clutter from other
servers starting, it's easy to miss this prompt.  Try the "notv tpok"
option so we can hone in on the problem.  Also double-check that you have
write permission on the data areas and the $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/$HOST/ area and
files therein.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory