[daip] Re: AIPS Install problem

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Oct 31 15:44:02 EST 2000

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:18:46 GMT, "James Seddon" <richkidjim at hotmail.com>
   said:

> I have a problem installing AIPS 31DEC99.

> I ran the install program but opted to install INSTEP2 and 4 later.
> INSTEP2 installed fine (took hours!!)

It usually does, unless you have a Pentium or Alpha above 500 MHz.

> but INSTEP4 took about 30 seconds.

Then it didn't work; something is wrong.  You cannot proceed until this is
fixed as you have no binaries!

> Anyway, I checked the install log for INSTEP4 and errors have occured!
> They all seem to be from the same problem.  Lots of files failed to compile
> but were preceded by the line: "Cannot open -ltermcap no such file or
> directory."

I assume you're running on Linux.  If you've got Red Hat, you need this
RPM or equivalent: libtermcap-devel-2.0.8-20.  (the version number is less
important than the name: libtermcap-devel).  Here's the details:

Name        : libtermcap-devel             Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 2.0.8                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 20                            Build Date: Sun 06 Feb 2000 07:16:03 AM EST
Install date: Thu 15 Jun 2000 11:44:47 AM EDT      Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Development/Libraries         Source RPM: libtermcap-2.0.8-20.src.rpm
Size        : 13341                            License: LGPL
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC/
Summary     : Development tools for programs which will access the termcap database.
Description :
This package includes the libraries and header files necessary for
developing programs which will access the termcap database.

If you need to develop programs which will access the termcap database,
you'll need to install this package.  You'll also need to install the
libtermcap package.
/usr/include/termcap.h
/usr/lib/libtermcap.a
/usr/lib/libtermcap.so

> Also, no error log was produced for INSTEP4.

Everything is kept in INSTEP4.LOG, and stderr is not captured unless you
do so yourself (e.g.: ./INSTEP4 >/dev/null 2>INSTEP4.ERR).

> much appreciated,
> JAMES SEDDON
> (4th year physicist at University of Manchester UK)

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory