[daip] Things I had to fix with SOL install of 31DEC99

Sally Laurent-Muehleisen slauren at igpp.ucllnl.org
Mon Oct 23 18:08:28 EDT 2000

Hi,

	I thought you would like some feedback on somethings I found that didn't
work automagically when installing the 31DEC99 AIPS (fresh install) on a
solaris (and some on a linux) system.

(1) AIPS.BOOT, AIPASSN.CSH, AIPASSN.SH, AIPSPATH.CSH, AIPSPATH.SH, etc not
    writable after execution of tar -xvf 31DEC99.tar

(2) Had to edit $AIPS_ROOT/$myver/Y/SERVERS/XAS/Makefile by hand to get location
    of c compiler right even though it was right in CCOPTS.SH and in ~./AIPSRC

And on my Linux system:

(3) Couldn't prime the ssh key.  ssh-add -D gave the error:

     Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

     When ssh-agent run, followed by ssh-add -D, I got the error:

     Error reading response length from authentication socket.
     Failed to remove all identitities.

(4) On both architectures, the install.pl perl script bombs when it gets up to
    the FILAIP execution, although everything is fine when I run it by hand.

(5) On both architectures, there is an annoyance that the DATA areas for
    all hosts running the system do not have everything after the first "."
    stripped off.  This makes for ugly data areas like lintilla.ucllnl.org_1

    Also, I use DHCP on my home machine and do not have a static IP address.
    This casued numerous problems that I could only rectify by using "localhost"
    (in lower case!) as my machine name.