[daip] XAS display problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Mon Oct 2 11:52:16 EDT 2000

computer support writes:
 > Hello, we are having a problem with XAS of version 15APR99 on our
 > newer 24-bit display Suns.  Namely, it fails with the error message:
 >
 > 	XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > 	XAS: Visual not = default, create 24-bit colormap
 > 	XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 255
 > 	XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > 	Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
 >
 > whereas pseudocolor works fine on older 8-bit displays (running the
 > same version of SunOS--5.6 and 5.7).

    The shared memory usage on Suns has a limit to the maximum size of
a memory segment.  You need > 1270 x 924 x 4 for true color (4 times
that for pseudo color).  Add to the file /etc/system something like

* Large shared memory segment for AIPS TV, from Dave Brown
*   GEM, 20 Mar 98

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=8388608

which is max 8 Mbytes which will be enough.

 > Since 'XAS' is a binary, I am not sure what it is trying to do with
 > shared memory, colormaps, and such.  Could you let us know if there
 > is a workaround to get the TVserver to run correctly?  Thanks.

Shared memory allows for very much faster movement of the TV image to
the display memory.  It can be turned off in the .Xdefaults file - see
the help file for XAS for details of that and other options (such as
using pseudo color on your new full color machine).  Pseudo color is
always faster than true color just less capable.