[daip] AIPS to have releases: action needed at mnj sites

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Nov 29 13:59:27 EST 2000

We have decided to have annual releases of AIPS.  To begin this, we
have renamed 31DEC99 to 31DEC00 on kochab (the mnj.cv.nrao.edu
computer).  To restore your mnj to functioning on this release, edit
the two AIPSPATH files in $AIPS_ROOT change 31DEC99 to 31DEC00 and
move the 31DEC99 directory file to 31DEC00 (Unix command:
     mv 31DEC99 31DEC00
) simply.  Then log out and log back in and you will be ready to go.
Any current users may have to log out and back in as well - or redo
their access of $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.* file anyway.

Their will be the "quarterly" update procedure to follow before the
end of the year as well.  We are sorry about this level of work for
the (few) people who have followed our advice to use the mnj.  The
large number of sites fetching 31DEC99 and then not changing it - or
avoiding this release entirely - have forced us to revert to releases
albeit on an annual basis.