[daip] install question

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Mon Nov 27 14:21:30 EST 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:35:36 -0500 (EST), clang at ocotillo.astro.umass.edu
  said:

> Hi - wondering if anyone has advice about the following error I am
> getting when I try to run aips just after installing it.

> aips

Note that "aips notv tpok" is a better way of finding problems, at least
with the core AIPS system.  "notv" prevents XAS, TVSERV, TKSERV and MSGSRV
from starting up, and "tpok" prevents the TPMON daemons from starting.

>  ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
>  ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC99) at priority = 0
> AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;  NOT FOUND
>  ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
>  ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)

This means the "$AIPS_ROOT/DA00/$HOST/SPD000000;" file is not there; this
is the system parameter file and is normally generated by FILAIP in the
install process.  If you add extra hosts to the HOSTS.LIST file, each one
of them needs an equivalent directory and can be populated by the SYSETUP
shell script.  Note that the latter needs a TEMPLATE area (under
$AIPS_VERSION/$ARCH/TEMPLATE) with copies of the system files from your
first host.

> STARTPMON: [OCOTILLO] The FITS area (/home/aips//FITS) is not a directory!

Is it a symbolic link?

> STARTPMON: [OCOTILLO] This area is needed by TPMON1 (for FITS disk access)
> STARTPMON: [OCOTILLO] Will NOT start any TPMON daemons.

You actually don't need TPMON daemons unless you want to grant *remote*
AIPS systems access to your tape drive(s) and FITS disk area.

> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number ?
> 1977
> ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD1IX000.1IX;  NOT FOUND

If you do:

   cd /home/aips/DATA/OCOTILLO_1
   ls -l ??D1IX???.1IX\;

what do you see?  Is there anything there?  If there are files, did they
come from a Linux or Alpha system, or a Sun or SGI or HP or RS6000?  If
one of the latter 4, then you're in trouble (big endian vs. little
endian).

Just a recap of my last message:

PM> You are almost there.  Here's how to fix this:

PM>      cd /wherever/your/aips/root/is
PM>      . ./LOGIN.SH                       # for bash, ksh, sh, zsh
PM>      RUN FILAIP

PM> Enter the numbers above, i.e. 35 disks, *MINUS* 100 for #catalog slots;
PM> etc.  When you're done, do this:

PM>      RUN POPSGN

PM> and enter this magic incantation:

PM>      0 POPSDAT TST

PM> (that's a zero as the first character).  When you see the ">" prompt,
PM> press <RETURN>.  At this point you should be able to run aips.  If you get
PM> any problems, try to narrow down what the issue is via the bare bones
PM> startup command "aips notv tpok".  This prevents launch of the TPMON, XAS,
PM> etc. servers and so you get far fewer startup messages.

If you did these, were there any error messages or did they work?

				- Pat