[daip] FITS Antenna tables

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Nov 9 11:02:04 EST 2000

Dear David,

There is no (unfortunately) the only coordinate system used for all arrays
in the AN table.

I give you the two examples.

VLBA:  uses the left handed coordinate system with X directed to the greenwich
       meridian.

VLA:   uses the right handed coordinate system with X directed to the meridian
       of the array center.
       The array center coordinates are given the right handed coordinate
       system with X directed to the greenwich  meridian.
       The array center coordinates appear at the header of the antenna
       table as Array BX=-1601162.0   BY=  -5042003.0   BZ=   3554915.0

AIPS reads the array name (Array=VLA, VLBA, ATCA...) from the antenna table and
selects the relevant coordinate system.

Regards

Leonia