[daip] forwarded message from Subhashis Roy

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed May 31 10:14:40 EDT 2000

I am not knowledgable about this aspect - can anyone clarify for him?

Eric
------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Subhashis Roy <roy at ncra.tifr.res.in>
To: egreisen at NRAO.EDU
Subject: Calibration of data from 'linear-pol. feed' in AIPS
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:53:40 +0530 (IST)

Hallow Eric,

I am a graduate student in NCRA-TIFR (India). I am writing this mail to
you for your help in clarifying some confusion regarding the polaristaion
calibration of data taken with linearly polarised feed (like ATCA). As you
are very much involved with 'aips' for many years, I thought of asking for
help from you.

Aips 'help file' for the task 'PCAL' says that it can handle data taken
with linearly polarised feed. However, the ATCA manual describes
(http://www.atnf.CSIRO.AU/computing/software/atca_aips/node12.html)

that AIPS does not handle data taken with linearly polarised feed
properly.

As I want to analyse some ATCA data regarding polarisation, I want to
clarify the above confusion.
(I find AIPS to be much advanced as compared to MIRIAD in several aspects
and want to stick to it rather than in MIRIAD.)

Hence, can you kindly help me in clarifying the status of calibration of
data 'taken with linearly polarised feed' in AIPS.

Sorry to bother you and thanks for your time.

						Your's sincerely,
						Subahshis