[daip] Re: Linux and XAS (fwd)

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Fri May 26 14:39:50 EDT 2000

On Fri, 26 May 2000 20:19:08 +0200 (MET DST), "Lorant Sjouwerman, JIVE"
   <sjouwerm at jive.nl> said:

> Anyway, it seems that we're missing some kind of Xwindow library.

I don't think so.

> XAS: ***********************************
> XAS: **  No TrueColor found
> XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
> XAS: No pseudocolor visual - No suitable visual: No such file or directory

This is a FAQ; See http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/aipsmgr/ under the heading
"AIPS works, tekserver works, but the TV doesn't come up".  Your Linux
system is likely using 16 bits (in /etc/X11/XF86Config).  If you can set
it up to use 24 (better) or 8 (worse, you'll likely get "flashing" when
the colormap changes from XAS to other applications), XAS will work.

				- Pat