[daip] Re: forwarded message from Lincoln Greenhill

Chris Flatters cflatter at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon May 8 14:15:10 EDT 2000

Lincoln Greenhill <lincoln at play.harvard.edu> writes:

> I would like to run AIPS on a LINUX system that uses a PowerPC
> CPU.
>
> Is LINUX vanilla enough that if I do not use redhat, I still will meet
> with success?  What might be the pitfalls?

At the moment we don't have any support for Linux on the Power PC in the AIPS
system but we do have some contributed patches. These are available by
anonymous ftp from ftp.aoc.nrao.edu from directory /pub/staff/clewis/linuxppc.
These appear to be functional but still have some rough edges and appear to
lack any documentation. I hope to be able to review them and integrate them
into the system in late May or early June.

This port was done on a Redhat Linux/PPC system so a Redhat distribution
would be the safest choice but I can't think of any obvious reasons for
thinking that there would be significant problems with any other Linux/PPC
distributions.

	Chris Flatters
	cflatter at nrao.edu