[daip] aips_gripe

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Mar 28 09:23:45 EST 2000

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:45:27 -0500 (EST), Lincoln Greenhill <lincoln at rgalp7.harvard.edu> said:

> {27-MAR-2000 19:42:31}
> {rgalp7       UN-REGISTERED!!!!!!!}
> {   24  31DEC99  DEC}
> {lincoln greenhill}
> {greenhill at cfa.harvard.edu}
> {617 495 7194}
> {Why must the XAS screen be limited to be rectangular such that the
>  top and bottom of a 1024 x 1024 map is cut off?  Many screens have enough
>  pixels/room to display such large maps in total.
>   }
> {XAS screens should permit 1024x1024 maps to be displayed w TXINC=1 & TYINC=1}
> {greenhill at cfa.harvard.edu}
> {

It already does, I believe.  The init code in XAS is tied exactly to the
size of your X11 screen (init.c excerpt follows):

                                        /* get root (full) screen size*/
   theight = DisplayHeight (display, screen_num);
   twidth = DisplayWidth (display, screen_num);
                                        /* screen size details        */
   Screen_Width = twidth - SCREEN_LEFT - SCREEN_RIGHT;
   Screen_Height = theight - SCREEN_TOP - SCREEN_BOTTOM;

and the uppercase constants are defined in xas.h:

   #define TEXT_SPACE      69

   #define SCREEN_LEFT     5
   #define SCREEN_RIGHT    5
   #define SCREEN_TOP     26
   #define SCREEN_BOTTOM   (5 + TEXT_SPACE)

You can always change the TEXT_SPACE key to a smaller number; the intent
was to allow a few lines from a terminal emulator window to peek through
at the bottom of the screen (or top) so you could still give some commands
and see what you were doing.

If you have a 1600 x 1200 screen, the size of XAS will be 1590 x 1100,
which should permit a 1k image to appear in full on the screen.
Unfortunately, we don't have a system that large here so I can't verify
that there isn't something else preventing this from happening.

				- Pat
}