[daip] Help please

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Mar 14 09:29:54 EST 2000

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:11:31 +0200 (SAST), Johan van der Walt
   <johan at fskdjvdw.puk.ac.za> said:

> You're correct - it was 16 bit. But XConfigurator does not give me the
> option of 32 bit.

How about 24 then?  They're essentially equivalent.

The one thing I know XConfigurator doesn't always get right is the monitor
horizontal and vertical sync rates.  These are specified in XF86Config as
HorizSync and VertRefresh.  Check that the values are exactly what the
monitor manual indicated.  And make *sure* you stay within the
manufacturer's specs; it's far less frequent these days, but people doing
the wrong thing here have fried their monitors with really bad values for
these parameters!

> Is the problem with the monitor or with the video card.

Not knowing what monitor or video card you have, I honestly don't know.
How much Video RAM does your video card have?  If it has 8 megabytes, and
the monitor is relatively new, you may be able to get 1280x1024 out of
it.

> Is 32 bit required to run the TV? I can get the 1280 x 1024 resolution
> but only in 8 bit.

In terms of X11, XAS requires either a pseudocolor visual (only available
in 8-bit mode with XFree86 version 3; don't know about version 4 yet), or
a truecolor visual with 24 or 32 bit depth.  You can run the AIPS TV with
an 8-bit display, though depending on how many colors your window manager,
desktop environment, background (root) image if any, and other tools use
up, XAS may fire up in a private colormap (things flash when you focus the
XAS window then).

> (1)It appears that make failed for the XAS TV server. Here is the
> relevant part from INSTEP1.LOG about that.

I need to see what went to stdout (the screen), or failing that, the
following:

       . /home/aips/LOGIN.SH     (or source /home/aips/LOGIN.CSH for csh/tcsh)
       $CDTST
       cd $YSERV/XAS
       make clean
       make

Capture the output of this, and I'll be able to help more.

> (2) When getting to 7.4 SYSETUP - Setting up System Areas for Other
> Hosts. Should I do this if I don't want to use other hosts?

No.

> .... master host: fskdjvdw.puk.ac.za

AIPS does not like fully qualified domain names.  It uses simple host
names.  That's why SYSETUP failed.  All it does is copy a bunch of files
from the TEMPLATE area to the host-specific areas for the other hosts.  If
you have no other hosts, then there's no point in running sysetup.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory