[daip] Problems starting XAS server (AIPS 15OCT99)

Scott Gordon gordon at physics.uq.edu.au
Fri Mar 10 05:20:20 EST 2000

Hi,

I've compiled the 15OCT99 version of AIPS on an IBM/PC compatible running
RedHat Linux 6.1.

It seems to run fine, except for the XAS server.

The XAS server bombs with a message saying :-

XAS: ***********************************
XAS: **  No TrueColor found
XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
XAS: ***********************************
XAS: No pseudocolor visual - No suitable visual: No such file or directory

[ I think "No such file or directory" is produced by the shell as a result of
the returned error code of "1", although I'm not sure. It occurs at an
"exit(1)" in the source code for 'XAS' ]

This is obviously due to the fact that the x-windows display (another Linux PC)
uses 16-bit color. XAS works fine in 8-bit color modes. Changing the color
depth is not really an option.

The display setup on the terminal is a simple XFree86 setup with 16 bit colour
and a 1152x864 pixel display, managed by 'xdm'.  XAS should just be allocating
its own 8-bit color map, but can't. Every other program which I've ever run on
that display works fine, so XAS is quite an odd one out.

Any information on how to get it to work would be appreciated, since not having a TV server is a bit annoying !

Cheers
Scott Gordon

Physics Department
Queensland University