[daip] bug in SETFC?

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Mar 7 11:53:42 EST 2000

Hi Katherine.  You wrote:

KB> I am working at NRL using a (not-up-to-date) version of 31DEC99 AIPS,
KB> so it may be that this problem has already been fixed.

It may be; see below.  I don't see any log entries for NRL access to the
MNJ so they are not running it at this point.  I'll try to get back to the
correspondence Christina Lacey and I were having and get them going...

KB> I am wanting to make a facetted map centred on 0h17m+34 and all the
KB> facets with centres 0+hrs appear just fine.  Those which should be
KB> centred at 23hrs do not get set by SETFC.  Outlier fields with all RAs
KB> get set just fine, it is the main facet fields to the right-hand side
KB> of the 0hrs line which do not get set.

The fix that Eric put in a few weeks ago seems to my somewhat
inexperienced eye to be very relevant:

10504.  February 21, 2000        SETFC                Eric
        Found two major bugs: the coordinates for multi-source files
        were put in the wrong variables and so were not used in
        setting the field centers.  0,0 was used instead.  And they
        were not handled properly as regards signs.  RAs were negative
        but the sign on 0 hours was lost and the sign on -00 degrees
        dec would also be lost.  Fixed to use > 0 RAs always and to
        handle the DEC signs correctly.
        The SUN position was not computed correctly due to the use of
        a wrong and uninitialized variable pointed out by the DEC
        compiler.
        Moved nowhere.

So I'd guess that getting the MNJ going for at least one run may be a good
idea.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory