[daip] fitld

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Mar 7 11:47:57 EST 2000

On Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:22:03 +0100, Yoshiaki Hagiwara
   <hagiwara at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> said:

YH> I would like to have a question about FITLD. FITLD failed giving me an
YH> error messages as shown below. The data, observed with VSOP satellite,
YH> were processed in Penticton S2 correlator.  The error message seems to
YH> be related to parity error, which is fundamental. I'm afraid that the
YH> data had to be rerocorded in right format.  Thank you.

<snip>

YH> HP177 > FITLD1:    20000 vis. written
YH> HP177 > FITLD1: ZTPWAT: ERROR   3 FOR LUN = 31 IBUFF = 1 TO TAPE
YH> HP177 > FITLD1: ZERROR: IN ZTPWA2 ERRNO = 5 (I/O error)
YH> HP177 > FITLD1: This usually means PARITY ERROR

The AIPS "usually means" message is a catch-all.  Error 5 usually involves
some error in the hardware or driver reading the tape, and is often a
result of bad media.  One way of finding out for sure is to repeat the
FITLD with the same data but different tape, and see if it occurs at the
same point.  It would be prudent to clean the tape drive with a cleaning
cartridge before trying this.

If it is repeatable, and occurs at the same place, please notify us again
and I'll ask my colleagues to look into the problem.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory