[daip] Re: AIPS on DEC systems

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 30 10:17:14 EDT 2000

If possible, it would be good to install 31DEC99 on both Solaris and
DEC.  They can share the source code and documentation files and will
only require separate libraries and executables.  then you and the
other users may choose the most convenient machine and also test
whether a problem is due to the architecture or the data.  We have
found that the different compilers on the two cause different
case, bad addresses are in a harmless part of the load module and in
another they destroy critical pointers.

There have been many many improvements since the 1996 releases.  The
bugs will have changed and become more sophisticated at least.  We do
have DEC machines in heavy use in Charlottesville and CfA, so some of
the DEC related problems have been reported and fixed.