[daip] apcal

Jim Ulvestad julvesta at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Jun 28 15:41:16 EDT 2000

Over the last several weeks, APCAL has acquired a warning
message as follows:

APCAL1: *** At least one source had identically zero flux
APCAL1: ***  Usually this means you forgot to run SETJY.
APCAL1: ***  This may be important if you have a very
APCAL1: ***  bright source (masers?).

However, when you're reducing VLBI data, it generally is the
case that no source has a flux density in the SU table,
because there is no equivalent to 3C 286.  VLA users have
a source flux, but they don't run APCAL.  So I don't know
why this message was put in.  Maybe it applies to some
spectral-line observations, but for most continuum observations
of strong sources or phase referencing, it just confuses the
user.  It seems to me that it should be taken out, or else it
should be clearer.  Most VLBI users never run SETJY, so
they will get very confused when told they forgot it.

ju