[daip] problems transporting files

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Mon Jun 26 14:08:14 EDT 2000

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:23:57 -0400 (EDT), Nik Williams
   <nik at aragorn.ncssm.edu> said:

> We had some files on another computer in multiple aips data directories
> that we tared, then pulled here via ftp, untared, and then UPDATed.

Hopefully the target directories were (a) empty, or had no conflicting
user number files; and (b) were on a system of the same endian-ism (big or
little; Big includes Sun, IBM, HP and SGI; Little includes Alpha, Intel).

> Now when we type in the user number that these files belong to, we get
> this:

>  MSGCOUNT IN FILE EXCEEDS MSG REC      1191968768********
>  ZMSGDK: INVALID RECORD REQUEST = ******

Unless you really need it, zap the message file (MSD*) for that user
number.  It is obviously corrupted, or the wrong endian flavor.  See note
above.  It's likely this is the message file for user #1.  If so:

        cd /the/area/that/corresponds/to/disk_1
        rm MSD001000.001\;

And again, see the caveat above; you can interchange these files
(carefully) between like endian machines, but you cannot cross that
boundary.  There's no way a Linux/Intel system can read any AIPS catalog,
data, or any files other than FITS format from a Sun/Sparc system, for
example.
				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory