[daip] Re: selfcal on ATCA

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 19 10:20:08 EDT 2000

Glenn Morrison writes:
 > For selfcal I'm getting subarray partions for the ATCA data. Why does this happen?
 > I DBCON 2 different arrays & 2 different runs together--is this the reason?
 >
 > >>START SUBARRAY    1 OF    4

         When you run DBCON, you control whether the 2 data sets are
treated as the same subarray or separate ones.  I would have DBCONd
the two sets of data that were the same together first forcing them to
stay as one subarray (each), then combine the two arrays letting them
be - as they are in reality - separate.  This extra separation may be
part of the cause of your troubles below

 > Also, the selfcal is NOT decreasing the rms. It seems that it is not applied
 > to the uv-data.
 >
 > >>     CALIB     CALREF: CAN NOT RELATE ANTENNA  1 TO  3 IN SUBARRAY  1
 > >>     CALIB     CALREF: CAN NOT RELATE ANTENNA  5 TO  3 IN SUBARRAY  1
 > >>     CALIB     CALREF: CAN NOT RELATE ANTENNA  1 TO  3 IN SUBARRAY  2
 > >>     CALIB     CALREF: CAN NOT RELATE ANTENNA  5 TO  3 IN SUBARRAY  2

         This is saying that there are no common antennas to allow
phase to be rereferenced for antenna 1 and for antenna 5 to antenna 3.
Were antennas 1 and 5 actually in use?  This message may appear when
they are in the antenna file but were not (after flagging) in use.

Eric