[daip] ANTEN under CALIB

Jim Ulvestad julvesta at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Jul 28 19:10:25 EDT 2000

Hi John,

I never thought about this a hell of a lot, but I think there's a
pretty simple answer.  When you include all the antennas, most of
those antennas have either no or one baseline that falls within
the 0-150 klambda range.  The strength of CALIB and like programs
is the fact that you (in general) have many baselines going into
the solution for each antenna.  I suspect that trying to back out
individual antenna solutions in this case is a very poorly constrained
mathematical problem, because you have many antennas that are
included on only one baseline, and this is why it doesn't work very
well.

Imagine, for example, that you have an antenna at AE4 that has several
baselines under 150 klambda.  But there's an antenna at AE5 whose only
baselines of that length are to AE4 and AE6.  Then the antenna at AE6
has a useful baseline only to AE5.  Trying to bootstrap out to solutions
for AE5 and AE6 antennas is likely to do nasty things to the least
squares fitter.

Probably, someone else could answer this better, but what the
heck, it's Friday evening ...

Cheers,

Jim Ulvestad