[daip] Gain normalization in CALIB

Craig Walker cwalker at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Jul 14 15:58:46 EDT 2000

I am using gain normalization in CALIB (CPARM(2)=1) and have
specified

AIPS 1: ANTUSE        1           3        Mean gain is calculated
AIPS 1:               6           7        (CPARM(2)>0) using only the
AIPS 1:               9          10        listed antennas. See explain.
AIPS 1:            *rest 0

I get

pingor> CALIB1: The following antennas are used in the gain normalization
pingor> CALIB1:   1
pingor> CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 1 The average gain over these antennas is  1.024E+00
pingor> CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 2 The average gain over these antennas is  9.767E-01
pingor> CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 1 The average gain over these antennas is  1.027E+00
pingor> CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 2 The average gain over these antennas is  9.779E-01

Which seems to say that it is only using the first antenna for the
normalization.  I did a 24 hr boxcar smooth on the resulting SN table and
the gains listed are exactly the ones used for antenna 1.  Therefore I
conclude that the gain normalization is indeed being done only using antenna
1 rather than those that I listed with ANTUSE.

Craig