[daip] Re: aips problem

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Wed Aug 23 11:23:22 EDT 2000

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 16:49:37 CDT, "Philip N Appleton"
   <pnapplet at iastate.edu> said:

> please forward this onto someone else if you are busy. The links to
> the AIPS page is not working

Which ones?  The AIPS Page is http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/ and my offsite
guest account (on goof.com, co-hosted by a company [BNT] in Blacksburg,
Virginia) can read it just fine as of a few seconds ago.

> I am running 15OCT99 version of AIPS on my alphastation AIPSview version
> 1.0 for OSF/1 v. 3.2 and had it set up for a single user (me). However a
> visitor tried to startup aips by logging into my machine and running
> aips and it cause my machine to crash.

That (obviously) should not happen.  Did that user have write permission
to the various parts of AIPS needed (DA00/* areas, data areas,
$TST/$ARCH/MEMORY and contents, etc)?  If not, that would have caused him
or her to have aips fail to start.  But nothing like this should cause the
system to crash; I never saw anything like that happen in the years we ran
OSF/1 3.2 (we're now modern by NRAO standards and are running 4.0D on our
two remaining Alpha/OSF1 machines).  Are you sure it was AIPS that did
this and not some other action?

> When we rebooted I found that I am unable to get the tvserver to come up
> This is the message--its seems there is some sort of lock-file that is
> causing the problem but I am unable to find it

One good thing to do is cut out all the extra stuff on an AIPS startup:

    aips notv tpok pr=1

This prevents the TV (XAS, MSGSRV, TEKSRV, and TVSERV lock daemon) and
TPMON daemons from starting up, and gives you a bare bones AIPS session.

> XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on cartwheel
> TVSERVER: could not get ssslock service by name: No such process
> TVSERVER: Check your /etc/services or NIS/YP map

Do you have an entry for ssslock in /etc/services?  It should be:

ssslock		5002/tcp	SSSLOCK		# AIPS TV Lock

Check the file, and also try "ypcat services | grep ssslock" in case your
system is set up to use NIS/YP for the services map.

> XAS: sssin is not a service

More services missing:

sssin		5000/tcp	SSSIN		# AIPS TV

> ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service

And more.  Here's a complete list that you can slap into /etc/services.

aipsmt0		5010/tcp	AIPSMT0
aipsmt1		5011/tcp	AIPSMT1
aipsmt2		5012/tcp	AIPSMT2
aipsmt3		5013/tcp	AIPSMT3
aipsmt4		5014/tcp	AIPSMT4
aipsmt5		5015/tcp	AIPSMT5
aipsmt6		5016/tcp	AIPSMT6
aipsmt7		5017/tcp	AIPSMT7
msgserv		5008/tcp	MSGSERV		# AIPS Message Server
sssin		5000/tcp	SSSIN		# AIPS TV
ssslock		5002/tcp	SSSLOCK		# AIPS TV Lock
tekserv		5009/tcp	TEKSERV		# AIPS TekServer

Though if there's a problem with the file, I'd look at a good system
backup to make sure there isn't more system damage to crucial files in
/etc/ and elsewhere.

				- Pat