[daip] AIPS

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Aug 22 15:31:43 EDT 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:37:10 -0700 (PDT), "Andrew A. West"
   <west at bluemoon.astro.washington.edu> said:

> I get an error when I start aips and am unable to dispay the TV on my
> machine.  I am ssh-ing from a machine to teh computer here that has
> AIPS.  This has worked before but there was recently a reboot and it may
> have screwed things up.

You probably had temporarily modified your X resources (via xrdb perhaps)
to disable shared memory.  The logic in the startup scripts to figure out
if you're on a remote link is not exhaustive, and ssh can/does disguise
the X tunneling, giving you something like "localhost:10.0" as a DISPLAY
instead of "remotehost:0".  What is the DISPLAY variable set to when you
slogin/ssh to the remote machine?  Do you have X tunneling enabled?  Or do
you override this with a new definition of DISPLAY?

It's likely you should just do the equivalent of:

     echo "AIPStv*useSharedMemory: 0" | xrdb -merge -

for a one-time fix.

A better solution would be to:

   (a) not do the xrdb fix above,
   (b) start a token AIPS session locally first before ssh-ing to the
       remote machine, and
   (c) start AIPS on the remote machine with the command
       "aips tv=local-machine-name tvok"
       so that the remote AIPS session does not try to re-start the
       servers.

This is almost certain to work under most circumstances and regardless of
how your login scripts are configured.

> The errror I get is:

> X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource
> denied)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  131 (MIT-SHM)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_ShmAttach)

Shared Memory Attach.  The remote XAS cannot connect to the local X
server's memory via the shared memory protocol, because they're not
running on the same machine.

				- Pat