[daip] Question

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Apr 27 16:06:16 EDT 2000

Dear Guillaume,

As you may know the classical(optical) astronomy has learned the universe by
receiving signal at the very narrow banwidth of electro magnetic field.
This bandwidth is limited by lambda~0.5 micron (red) and ~0.7micron (blue).
The men's yes are sensitive to  this wavelength range of electro magnetic field.
But it is clear that the nature does not work specifically for the men.

So it can be expected that universe objects emit electromagnetic waves outside
of the optic range. That is why recentely other astronomy appeared:
radioastronomy, X-ray astronomy, infrared astronomy..

All these astronomies study Universe in diferent wavelength of the electro
magnetic field.

Now spesifically about radio astronomy. The antennas (radio telescopes)
used in radioastronomy are not necessary look like paraboloid reflector.
Their design depend on the wavelength. For example in meter and decimeter
wavelength the radiotelescope looks like TV antennas.
Specifically the mirror of the paraboloid radiotescope should be built of
the metal of good conductivity (at least its surface).
Of cource radioastronomers can observe at the day time.

>What advantage radioastronomy has on optical astronomy?

Radioastronomy provdes scintist another information abot the object.
Imagine that your eyes can see only green colour. Then the moon for example
looked diferentely. I would say you would have more limited information
about the moon in comparison with another man who is sencitive to the whole
optical band.

Additionally there are some objects that emmit in radio but does not emmit in
optics. Such objects simple have not existed for human being.

There are many books about Radio astronomy.
In particular you can look Radio Astronomy by John Kraus.

You can ask more the people in France: The Paris observatory has the
radio astronomy deprtment; there is an radio astronomy observatory at
Nance, and milimeter radio observatory IRAM.

Leonid Kogan