[daip] name

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Wed Apr 26 14:18:04 EDT 2000

The only thing I can find in my aips support e-mail archive is what's
below, and that's from about a year ago.

				- Pat

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at valen.cv.nrao.edu>
To: Anuj Sarma <sarma at pa.uky.edu>
Subject: Re: aips installation query to designated aip
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 12:33:22 -0400 (EDT)

Anuj Sarma writes:
 > Installation of aips from binaries on IBM AIX
 >
 > Sir,
 > We are trying to install aips using the binaries on an IBM AIX. The system
 > manager informs us that it installed properly. But when we try to start up aips,
 > we get the following:
 >
 > exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program
 > /u/big/users/aips/aips/15OCT98/IBM/LOAD/ZSTRTA.EXE because of the following
 > errors:
 >         0509-022 Cannot load library libxlf.a[shr.o].
 >         0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does not
 > exist.
 > /u/big/users/aips/aips 4 % DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl
 > version 5.005
 > STARTPMON: [GRENDL] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
 > exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program TPMON1 because of the following errors:
 >         0509-022 Cannot load library libxlf.a[shr.o].
 >         0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does not
 > exist.
 >
 > We are confused. Isn't xlf the FORTRAN compiler? Why is it looking for the
 > compiler, since this is a binary installation?

     The reference is undoubtedly to Fortran run-time libraries.  I
would suggest setting $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point at your library area,
except that you do not have one.  You cannot run Fortran without
run-time libraries (nor can you run C or any other language without
their run-time libraries).  A way around this is to make static load
modules that have the libraries copied into them.  This is not a
standard practise since the load modules become very large and we do
not do it here since the files would be too large to download over the
net and would eat us alive for disk.  There are performance issues as
well.

 > Incidentally, the sysadmin informs me that he doesn't have a fortran compiler on
 > this system, so if it is indeed a compiler that aips is looking for, is there
 > any way to get around it?

    BTW - we are discontinuing support for AIPS on IBM AIX machines.
They are simply not cost effective any more and we have only 1 such
machine still running.  A PC with Linux will outperform an AIX box (by
factors of several) for less than 1 year's maintenance!

Eric