[daip] Confused about APCAL

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Sun Apr 2 13:12:05 EDT 2000

Al,

You wrote:

>One gripe is that APCAL (at least the 15OCT99 version that
>we're using) only accepts an ASCII weather file, not the
>WX table produced by the automatic calibration.  I don't
>know if that's true for the Classic AIPS, since we haven't
>installed it owing to the unavailability of a binary-only
>installation.

The version 31DEC99 accepts the WX table produced by the automatic
calibration.

Look the following correction made by Ketan Desai:

10420.  November 15, 1999        APCAL                      Ketan
        APCAL would refuse to do opacity corrections if source fluxes
        were not found in the SU table.  Now, APCAL will go ahead assuming
        a source flux of zero - a reasonable default - with a stern
        rejoinder to the user that they may have wanted to run SETJY.
        Also, APCAL would refuse to do opacity corrections if a text file
        containing weather information was not supplied.  Internally, the
        only use of this file was to find the maximum recorded ground
        temperature for each station.  The WX table is now supplied by
        VLBA calibration transfer and APCAL needs to be made to read that
        table.  For now, the behaviour of APCAL has been changed not to
        crash with opacity corrections are requested and no weather text
        file is supplied.  The new behaviour is to assume a default
        maximum ground temperature of 20 C at each station, _if_ the
        INFILE is left blank [with a warning of course...].
        Moved nowhere.

If you have a problem having 15DEC99 version I can send you the fortran codes
of the last APCAL version. Having had the codes you can create your
private version of APCAL that coincides with the 15DEC99 version.

Let me know please if you want it.

The problem you describe at the beginning of your message may dissapear
using the last version of APCAL.

Leonia