[Calendar] Apologies for the massive overload...

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 12 09:09:43 EDT 2012

As part of a planned response to a recent computing security incident,
we engaged a "penetration test" software suite against our main web
server this morning.  This action was necessary to identify the weak
points in our infrastructure that others (who also use the same
software, but for less honourable purposes) have exploited in the past
and may continue to exploit.

The barrage of ~2000 messages you saw from the calendar submission form
was a completely unintended side effect of this "pen test"; please
accept our sincerest apologies for this.  I am on the calendar list too,
and received the thousands of messages just like you, between about
05:43 and 05:50 A.M. eastern time today.

The good news is that the penetration test seems to have found some
things we can clean up, and it is nearly finished at this point.  As far
as I can tell it is no longer looking at the calendar submission forms,
fortunately.

Again, my sincere apologies for the massive overload of unwanted mail!

 - Pat